hotel astor


Friday 7/22

I just watched Kubricks 1953 second movie “Killers Kiss.” I love seeing photos and film of 50s/60s Times Square.  In the movie there is a blinking sign of the Hotel Astor where I had dinner and heard live music with my parents and younger sister and brother during a Christmas holiday when I was about twelve.  In a letter I read years ago - my mom wrote my older sister that “dad was on his feet all night because the boys wouldn’t dance with Jessie.”  One earlier time in Times Square my sister Eileens friend Denise said “hold my hand tight, kid. There  are a lot of weirdos around here.” And I remember thinking - I can’t wait to grow up so I can move here and live with all these weirdos.  And I did.

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

a few fav things

Brilliant

easter