Urge for Going - Joni '66



 I awoke today and found the frost perched on the town

It hovered in a frozen sky and gobbled summer downWhen the sun turns traitor coldAnd all trees are shivering in a naked rowI get the urge for going but I never seem to goI get the urge for goingWhen the meadow grass is turning brown
Summertime is falling down and winter is closing in
I had me a man in summertimeHe had summer-colored skinAnd not another girl in townMy darling's heart could winBut when the leaves fell on the groundAnd bully winds came around pushed them face down in the snowHe got the urge for going and I had to let him goHe got the urge for goingWhen the meadow grass was turning brown
And summertime was falling down and winter was closing in
Now the warriors of winter they gave a cold triumphant shoutAnd all that stays is dying and all that lives is getting outSee the geese in chevron flight flapping and racing on before the snowThey've got the urge for going and they've got the wings so they can goThey get the urge for goingWhen the meadow grass is turning brown
Summertime is falling down and winter is closing in
I'll ply the fire with kindling and pull the blankets to my chinI'll lock the vagrant winter out and I'll bolt my wandering inI'd like to call back summertime and have her stay for just another month or soBut she's got the urge for going so I guess she'll have to goShe get the urge for going when the meadow grass is turning brownAnd all her empires are falling downAnd winter's closing in
And I get the urge for going when the meadow grass is turning brownAnd summertime is falling down

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

a few fav things

Brilliant

easter