Bond

 


Shrinks and sociologists talk about weak ties or peripheral ties - in contrast to close ties to family and intimate friends. Weak ties include neighbors, classmates, congregants, shopkeepers, service workers, life guards, bartenders, visitors. Scientifically speaking, these interactions boost positive moods.  


a beautiful 20’ by 40” rug depicting Africa is sprawled out on the lower 5th sidewalk. A guy with a distinguished more than middle aged mug is taking pictures of it. I stop and admire. He says something like … great huh.  I say yeah.  beautiful. amazing. I ask him if he’s buying it.  He says no .. I’m selling it.  I say … wow, good for you. He says … it really belongs in a museum. He says a lot more but his accent is thick … but it really doesn’t matter … it’s his tone and warmth that penetrates and counts.  I wish him luck and continue down the street. 

Comments

  1. Great vignette- Evan Durst Kreeger, Lynda’s friend

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

a few fav things

Brilliant

easter